August 6, 2013

IT REALLY DOES TAKE A VILLAGE

16 Bars has written and performed quite a number of  cabaret shows!  For me, the process is always  interesting.

Not knowing how other writers work, this may sound kind of odd, but  I really need to have a title before I begin to write a show.  Having worked with many performers through the years, I also like to have my cast and director in place before beginning to write.  Writing dialog is so much more fun when I  know who is going to say it.

So far, 16 Bars has been lucky!  I've had the good fortune to work with terrifically talented performers, directors and choreographers. I've worked with performers who are new to the whole idea, and those who have had much more experience than I. I've learned a whole bunch from all of them!  Sometimes what to do, and certainly some times, what not to attempt.  And seriously, without these people I would have bupkis.  Just words and music on a page with no one to speak, sing or directions on how to move around the stage.

For me, one of the most difficult tasks is deleting...anything!  A snappy phrase, a cute  anecdote, or a funny reference are excruciating for me to erase.  I mean, what if I need these little jewels again, and can't remember them!   However,  in the interest of self-editing, I have learned it is not necessary to say the same thing in four different ways, and then top it off with a song!

My husband is the first reader of my scripts.  And even though I debate some of his edits, often I find, (much to my amazement) he turns out to be right.  Imagine that!

The ideas for plots or situations come from everywhere.  Funny things happen every single day.  From dealing with bank errors or eccentric neighbors to accumulating airline miles,  teaching piano students, or solving computer glitches;  the comedy begs to be documented.  And thank goodness, they provide a wealth of material.